By John Queally · 1 Dec 2014
In response to the news, Egyptian-American journalist Sharif Abdel Kouddous tweeted:
An Egyptian court has thrown out charges against former President Hosni Mubarak, his interior minister, and six aides over the killing of protesters during the 2011 Egyptian uprising.
[...] Chief Judge Mahmoud Kamel al-Rashidi also cleared Mubarak and his sons, Alaa and Gamal, of corruption charges related to gas exports. The judge said too much time had elapsed since the alleged crime took place for the court to rule on the matter.
Nearly 900 protesters were killed in the 18-day uprising that ended when Mubarak stepped down, handing over power to the military. The trial, however, was concerned only with the killing of 239 protesters, whose names were cited in the charge sheet.
Mubarak, 86, will not walk free after Saturday's verdicts. He was found guilty in May in another case related to theft of public funds and has been serving that three-year sentence while under house arrest for medical reasons in an army hospital in an upscale Cairo suburb.
The decision, Judge Rashidi declared on Saturday, “has nothing to do with politics.”
Beyond the courtroom, though, many Egyptians said that it reflected the times. President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, the former general who last year led the military takeover that ousted Egypt’s elected Islamist government, has consolidated power as the country’s new strongman. He has surrounded himself with former Mubarak ministers and advisers.
State-run and pro-government media now routinely denounce the pro-democracy activists who led the 2011 uprising as a “fifth column” out to undermine the state. Some of the most prominent activists are in prison, and the Islamists who dominated the elections are now jailed as terrorists.
Posts by unregistered readers are moderated. Posts by registered readers are published immediately. Why wait? Register now or log in!