30 Sep 2014
Oxford University Professor, Danny Dorling, unpacks the latest research into how the lives and ideas of the 1% impact the remaining 99% in the UK. He says there’s a new cleavage opening up. The 1% used to have a more diverse group of professions, but increasingly it is concentrated in the financial sector. Britain’s 2,200 bankers earn over a million euros annually. In comparison Swiss bankers earn only half as much. A consequence of this growing division is that the UK now has the most divided education system in Europe. Dorling encourages his fellow countrymen to think back to aristocratic Downton Abbey times, and ask themselves, “Which of my children will in future become a servant for the 1%?”
Posts by unregistered readers are moderated. Posts by registered readers are published immediately. Why wait? Register now or log in!